Monday, November 12, 2007

By the pricking of my thumbs...

We had our second human biology practical today; this time, haemotology and blood analysis.

It was a cool practical; taking our own blood, doing stuff with it to determine

1) Haemoglobin concentration
2) Packed Cell Volume
3) RBC count
4) WBC count
5) Blood type

Funny/interesting facts about my blood today included;

1) I'm O+. I knew I was O, but I didn't know I had the rhesus factor. Which was kinda cool.
2) The normal WBC count in a female is 9x10^9. I had 16x10^9. (and as I would comment on that; lol.)

It either means that 1) I have some serious ass immune system going on
2) I'm coming down with a cold ._. and I was sneezing today in lectures. Hahah.

My thumb is bruised and stuff though; it didn't exactly hurt all that much when you pricked your thumb with the spring loaded needle, but afterwards it did because it's bruised and wounded. I'm sort of a fiend for squidging more blood out of my wounds though so... this practical wasn't really anything out of the ordinary in that respect.

No comments: